Food Assistance

A program that helps people with low income and limited resources pay for food. Food Assistance gives you a plastic card, called an Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card, that looks and works like a debit card, except that it can only be used to buy food. Food Assistance puts money on the EBT card each month. Food Assistance used to be called Food Stamps and you may also hear it called by its federal name, SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program).

To apply for Food Assistance:

Using the combined application form, you can also apply for Medicaid and Ohio Works First (OWF) at the same time.

Note: If you and everybody else in your household receive either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Ohio Works First (OWF) benefits, you automatically qualify for Food Assistance.

View the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services Food Assistance fact sheet.