Building Your Assets and Wealth

Next Steps

Learn More

Tax Help

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) centers help people file their taxes for free. Find a local VITA center or call 1-800-906-9887.

Benefits and Legal Help

For legal advocacy services for people with disabilities, call Disability Rights Ohio at 1-800-282-9181 or 1-614-466-7264. (TTY: 1-800-858-3542 or 1-614-728-2553.)

Asset Development Programs

ABLE Accounts

Ohio's ABLE account program is STABLE. Learn more about ABLE accounts and compare different state ABLE programs at the ABLE National Resource Center.

Individual Development Accounts (IDAs)

Each IDA program has its own application process. Get started by finding an IDA program through the Ohio CDC Association or Prosperity Now. Note: There aren't as many IDA programs as there used to be. Some are still active, but it can take a bit of effort to find one that is accepting applications.

Plans to Achieve Self-Support ( PASS)

The PASS application is complex. Get help with it from a PASS Cadre. In Northern Ohio (except Toledo), call the Akron PASS Cadre at 1-877-696-9399, ext. 14303. In Southern Ohio, call the Lancaster Cadre at 1-877-841-5712, ext. 20910. In Toledo, call the Pontiac, MI Cadre at 866-318-1858, ext. 28449.

The Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)

To enroll, contact the public housing authority (PHA) that manages your Section 8 benefit. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has more information about this program.

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)

IRS Publication 596 is a comprehensive guide to the EITC. The IRS EITC Assistant can help you see whether you qualify for an EITC and how much you might get.

The Child Tax Credit (CTC)

Get information about the CTC from the IRS.

Special Needs Trusts

The Special Needs Alliance can help you find an attorney who specializes in Special Needs Trusts.

The Social Security Administration has excellent information about Special Needs Trusts and SSI eligibility.

Ticket to Work

Social Security’s Ticket to Work Program helps people with disabilities who get Social Security benefits re-enter the workforce and become more independent. The Ticket to Work Program offers free access to employment-related services, such as training, transportation, and vocational rehabilitation.

Benefits Planning Services

If you're currently on SSI, SSDI, or CDB benefits, and you're looking for a job, a trained benefits planner can help you avoid complications when you are working on a job plan for your future. For questions or guidance specific to your situation, you can speak to someone at the Ticket to Work Help Line at 1-866-968-7842 or 1-866-833-2967 (TTY) Monday through Friday from 8:00AM - 8:00PM EST.

View DB101's full list of experts who can help you understand different benefits.

Learn more